Subject: Request for Interview and Prison Visit – Estonia-Sweden Prison Agreement
From: "David Kabel" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2025 15:18:36 +0300

Tähelepanu! Tegemist on välisvõrgust saabunud kirjaga.
Tundmatu saatja korral palume linke ja faile mitte avada.

Dear Madam, Sir
My name is David Kabel, Central and Eastern Europe correspondent for Het 
Financieele Dagblad (FD), the leading financial and political newspaper in 
the Netherlands.
I am writing with regard to the agreement currently being negotiated between 
Estonia and Sweden to lease prison space in Tartu for up to 600 Swedish 
inmates.
This development is of particular interest to me, as the Netherlands is 
currently considering similar international arrangements to alleviate 
domestic prison overcrowding. I am especially keen to understand how Estonia 
plans to mitigate the potential risks raised by the Chancellor of Justice 
and the Internal Security Service—particularly regarding extremism and 
organised crime—and how this initiative aligns with the country’s steadily 
declining prison population.
I would very much appreciate the opportunity to speak with those involved in 
the drafting or implementation of this plan. If possible, I would also like 
to visit Tartu Prison to gain a better understanding of how it will be 
adapted to host foreign inmates.
Should language be a concern, I am happy to bring a translator along to 
ensure smooth communication.
Please let me know whether such a conversation and visit could be arranged. 
I will be happy to provide press credentials and coordinate any necessary 
logistics.
Thank you for your time and consideration. I look forward to hearing from 
you.
Best regards,
David

 <https://fd.nl/>

David KabelCorrespondent

	+31 <tel:+31%206%201048%209701>  6 1048 9701	[email-masked] 
<mailto:[email-masked]>
	www.fd.nl <https://fd.nl/>

	Onderdeel <https://fdmg.nl/>  van FD Mediagroep

This message may contain confidential (business) information and / or 
information which falls under the protection of journalistic sources and 
should be treated as such. If you are not the addressee of this message, 
please destroy this message without taking note of the content and do not 
use, copy and/or distribute this message and its content to others.